Parenting

After Baby Dies in Hot Minivan, 10-Yr-Old Invents Device to Prevent It From Happening Again

A 10-year-old from McKinney, Texas, is changing the game when it comes to parents forgetting their children in the car.

GoFundMe

According to noheatstroke.org, more than 700 children have died since 1998 as a result of heatstroke in a hot car—with 39 in 2016 alone.

Bishop Curry V was inspired to change those statistics when a baby died in a neighboring town after being left in a hot minivan this summer. It hit close to home for this youngster, because he has a baby sister himself.

Bishop Curry IV

The fifth grader designed and invented a device called the Oasis, which would attach to the top of a child’s carseat. A sensor would detect a child who is essentially trapped inside the car, and blow cool air on them while the device alerts nearby police and parents via text message that a child has been left in the car. The cool air will blow on the child until help arrives.

Curry is still in the process of designing the Oasis, but he’s already obtained a provisional patent, as well as interest from Toyota—where his father, Bishop Curry IV, works as an engineer.

“It would be a dream to have lots of inventions that would save many lives,” the 10-year-old said.

We’re so inspired by this budding inventor who’s using his creative genius to save the lives of others, much like this innovative 4th grader who created her own homemade device to prevent babies from being left in hot cars.

Curry V is raising money online to further his creation. You can visit his GoFundMe page for more information, and to find out how you can help.

See more from the bright young Bishop Curry in the NBC 5 News exclusive below:

Bri Lamm
Posted By

Bri is an outgoing introvert with a heart that beats for adventure. She lives to serve the Lord, experience the world, and eat macaroni and cheese in between capturing life’s greatest moments on one of her favorite cameras.

Comments