A 3-year-old boy with a dairy allergy tragically died earlier this month after his New York City preschool fed him a grilled cheese sandwich. Now, the boy’s father is taking a stand for stricter school policies to ensure children with severe food allergies are safely cared for.
Elijah Silvera tragically died on November 3, after a caretaker at the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem gave him a grilled cheese sandwich, “despite them knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy,” according to a GoFundMe page organized for the Silvera family.
Elijah’s father, Thomas Silvera, says his son’s death was completely preventable. The family is now on a mission to ensure no other parent has to lose their child to something “so simple.”