Whether you are seeking a greater purpose in life, are a new believer, or have walked with Jesus for a long time, you may wonder how to get closer to God in this time. These simple tips will remind you that getting closer to God is just one small act away. Spend some time with God today, and you will be blessed and refreshed.
12 Tips on How to Get Closer to God
1. Get quiet. Turn off the radio and TV, step away from your computer, put away your phone, and find a quiet spot to simply rest in God’s presence.
2. Read your bible. Underline, highlight, or write out passages, verses, phrases or words that speak to you. These are the gifts that keep on giving when you need encouragement down the road.
3. Write out your prayers in a dedicated notebook; these can be for others or yourself. Then spend time in prayer.
4. Go for a walk and talk with God. Share your heart: what is troubling you, what you are thankful for, and your hopes and dreams. He listens.
5. Meditate on Scripture. Choose a verse or short passage, read it several times, and invite the Holy Spirit to speak to you about what you have learned in the context of what’s happening in your life right now.
6. Put on some worship music and immerse yourself in the melody and lyrics. Sing along, dance…or just listen. Let the Holy Spirit minister to you.
7. Marvel at the world God has created. Walk in the forest, sit by a bubbling stream, watch a mother bird feed her young, or drive out in the country for a picnic. Let the experience soak in.
8. Journal what God has been speaking to you about today.
9. Share what God has done for you with a friend or family member. Witnessing is a powerful tool for our own spiritual growth, and pleases the Lord.
10. Do something for someone else without expecting anything in return.
11. Use the gifts God has given you. If He has called you to create, then create. If He has called you to administer, then administer. If He has called you to shepherd, then shepherd.
12. Fast. Fasting brings clarity of mind and combined with any of the above, gives you the potential for a remarkable encounter with God.
BONUS: Be grateful. Count, and thank God for, your blessings every day.
This article originally appeared here.