Parenting

Her Son Died From Playing in the Dirt—Then Mom Sees a Chilling Note on Her Living Room Table

Leland Shoemake was your typical 6-year-old boy who loved climbing trees and playing. While admittedly being an overprotective mom, one thing that Leland’s mother, Amber, didn’t want to do was to stop him from doing what he loved. Unfortunately, it was because of an amoeba in the dirt called Balamuthia mandrillaris that caused his brain to swell and ultimately cost him his life.

leland

Doctors weren’t able to nail down exactly how he came in contact with the disease, but it’s been reported that Balamuthia typically enters the body through soil that comes in contact with cuts, wounds or is breathed.

Leland’s parents realized something wrong when he was constantly throwing up with fever-like symptoms. They realized it was more than a fever when his eyes crossed and he couldn’t focus on anything. They spent many sleepless nights in the hospital by his bedside until he passed away from the infection.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 5.12.47 PM

Amber and her husband, Tim, returned home to begin making arrangements for the memorial service. They walked into their home to find this note lying on the table in their living room:

12043183_521064258043597_5337538891439145031_n

They have no clue how it got there or when he wrote it. It was very painful to see but the perfect way to remember their loving son. “He was the light of our life and the center of this family,” Amber wrote on Facebook. They had originally asked to be left to mourn but broke their silence on social media to share the image along with this beautiful eulogy in memory of Leland:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 5.17.05 PM

Our hearts and prayers are with the entire Shoemake family.

Become A Contributor
Read Next On FaithIt
18-Year-Old Drives 500 Miles in the Middle of the Night to Deliver Pizza to a Dying Man

Comments