When you’re out in the blistering summer heat, nothing sounds more refreshing than a crisp, cold bottle of water to cool you down.
While we’ve all heard that you’re not supposed to chug a ton of water (or anything for that matter) in the sun, Adam Schaub didn’t think that just 2 bottles of water could land him face-first in the ground with his body in total “shock.” But that’s exactly what happened when he and his dad were working out in the 100° sun and stopped for a quick break.
In a viral Facebook post that has now been shared over 600,000 times, Adam issues an urgent public service announcement that will make you think twice about chugging cold water to beat the summer heat.
Read Adam’s post in full below:
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
So we’ve all heard not to drink really cold water in the heat, but a lot of us haven’t heard the why or experienced it first hand. Cold water is good, so how could it be bad? Well, yesterday I found out. We were out working in 100° weather (not a good idea in itself) when my dad noticed my face was getting pretty red and suggested that I take a break. I immediately grabbed a cold bottle of water and drank it. After he did a little more work he suggested that I get in the truck and blast the a.c.. in the truck I drank some more cold water (another bottle) and very shortly started feeling strange. I started seeing spots, my stomach got extremely nauseous and my hands and feet started tingling. I felt like I was going to throw up so I opened the truck door and the next thing I know I’m face first in the ground and my dad’s rolling me over and wiping off my face. [He] said my eyes had rolled back a bit and I didn’t come to for a few minutes. Emt arrived and asked what was going on.
Immediately the guy knew what happened. Apparently, if you’re too hot and chug a bottle of cold water, it Can send your body into shock. It thinks that the stomach is going hypothermic and so it takes the warm blood and sends it to the stomach. You can lose consciousness. He said cold water is good, but only in sips. Room temperature water is better if you need fast rehydration. Just figured I would share in case anyone could benefit from my mishap. Summer’s just around the corner. Stay cool. Feel free to share if you think it could help someone. I wish I had learned this a long time ago.
Edit: ***disclaimer*** I’m an not a Dr so please don’t take my experience or what I was told as a reason not to talk to your own doctor. Do not take my personal experience as advice. In case it wasn’t clear enough, drinking water throughout the day and staying hydrated is very important. If you mess up though, like I did, don’t make the same mistake as me.”
SHARE Adam’s important message today to ensure your friends and family have a safe summer!