We’ve all heard the warnings about how dangerous trampolines are for kids. I remember growing up, my pediatrician knew that my family had a trampoline. Every time one of us kids had to go to the doctor, he’d look my mom in the eye and ask, “Still have that death trap in your backyard?”
Unfortunately, trampolines are dangerous for the very reason they’re fun: The forces and movements that make trampolines the spring boards that they are, are the same forces and movements the lead to unique injuries and/or patterns for injury.
Yet, people still own them, and indoor trampoline parks are rapidly popping up across the country.
One mother this week has a desperate plea for parents considering a “fun” afternoon at the trampoline park, after learning that “toddler time” is NOT all that it’s cracked up to be.
As Kait Ellen detailed in a Facebook warning this week:
“We feel compelled to make other parents aware of the danger associated with indoor trampoline parks. “
While jumping in a different square than his parents at the trampoline park, 3-year-old Colton fell and broke his femur—the strongest bone in his tiny little body.
“Come to find out, according to the America Academy of Pediatrics and the America Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons ‘children under the age of 6 should never use a trampoline.’ This is due to the fact that their fragile bones are not meant to withstand the repetitive pressure from jumping.”
The trampoline park has no warnings for kids under six, and in fact promotes just the opposite—“toddler time”—which is designed specifically for you guessed it: TODDLERS.
“We had no idea and were shocked to find this out from our pediatric orthopedic surgeon during Colton’s hospital stay.”
The three-year-old was taken to the hospital where he was put into a hip spica cast—which prevents any movement of the legs, and minimal movement in the hips and pelvis—for the next six weeks.
“We share this with you today to spread awareness that these facilities are specifically advertising for Toddler Time, when in fact toddlers should be no where near trampolines.”
“We hope by sharing his story it will prevent a child and their family from experiencing the trauma and heartbreak associated with trampoline injuries in young children. Please help us by sharing this story!”
The concerned mother’s message has now been shared over 255,000 times since it was posted to Facebook last week.
Our prayers are with sweet Colton as he endures the next few weeks of immobility.
Help Kait and her family spread awareness today by sharing this story with those you love. It just might wind up saving a child’s life.