Full of church picnics, waterpark trips, pool days, and all kinds of other fun in the sun, summer is the season most of us look forward to year round.
However, the arguably best season of the year for kids does not come without its risks.
Last Monday, the Las Vegas Fire Rescue shared photos of a toddler who suffered 2nd-degree burns over a third of its body after being scalded by water from a garden hose.
“Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals,” their tweet read. “Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals.”
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl
— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 4, 2018
The featured child’s mom was reportedly filling up a kiddie pool when the incident occurred.
“We use it every year to show just how serious a burn can occur to a toddler,” the Las Vegas Fire Rescue Public Information Officer told KTLA 5. “We got a ton of tweets back from people (saying) ‘I never thought about that,’ and that’s why we do it.”
“Sometimes the people don’t realize that for the length of the hose all that water is going to be hot water,” he added.
The Las Vegas Fire Rescue team encourages parents across the country to share this important message to raise awareness and prevent serious injury to other children. See more in the KDKA news clip below: