Whether you’ve been married for fifty years or fifty minutes, any couple will tell you that marriage can sometimes be hard. Sure, we all want to live the fairytale romance of our favorite rom-coms or Pinterest boards, but that’s just not the reality of things. Because of that, we created a list of Christian marriage quotes to help your relationship.
Marriage is not ultimately for us, but for the Lord. And anyone who’s ever walked with Jesus knows just how much of a target you become when your lives are rooted in faith.
Mark 10:9 says, “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” But that command is a lot easier said than done.
If Satan wants to break you, he’ll first start by attacking your marriage. That’s why these Christian marriage quotes are great. Divorce isn’t the only form of separation in this world. In fact, even the smallest cracks in your marriage can pave the way for a gaping hole, which might as well have a welcome mat waiting for the enemy to sneak in.
Don’t let the world and Satan’s schemes overcome the sanctification of marriage. Through mountains and valleys, these Christian marriage quotes remain true of a healthy, Christ-like, Christian marriage.
Here are 21 Christian Marriage Quotes that are sure to strengthen your relationship today.
1. “Men, you’ll never be a good groom to your wife unless you’re first a good bride to Jesus.” —Tim Keller
2. “When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.” —C.S. Lewis
3. “The happiness of married life depends upon making small sacrifices with readiness and cheerfulness.” —John Selden
4. “In sharp contrast with our culture, the Bible teaches that the essence of marriage is a sacrificial commitment to the good of the other. That means that love is more fundamentally action than emotion.” —Tim Keller
5. “We are here to love. Not much else matters.” —Francis Chan
6. “God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was conceived and born in the mind of God.” —Max Lucado
7. “As God by creation made two of one, so again by marriage He made one of two.” —Thomas Adams
8. “Many conflicts in a marriage result from living to please self instead of living to please the Lord. These conflicts can be resolved and are actually opportunities for spiritual growth when dealt with in a biblical manner.” —John C. Broger
9. “Many marriages would be better if the husband and the wife clearly understood that they are on the same side.” —Zig Ziglar
10. “The man who sanctifies his wife understands that this is his divinely ordained responsibility… Is my wife more like Christ because she is married to me? Or is she like Christ in spite of me? Has she shrunk from His likeness because of me? Do I sanctify her or hold her back? Is she a better woman because she is married to me?” —R. Kent Hughes
11. “In God there is no hunger that needs to be filled, only plenteousness that desires to give.” —C.S. Lewis
12. “There is no more lovely, friendly or charming relationship, communion or company, than a good marriage.” —Martin Luther
13. “We [should not] make the mistake of thinking that marriage will provide the ultimate satisfaction for which we all hunger. To assume so would be to be guilty of blasphemy. Only God satisfies the hungry heart. Marriage is but one of the channels He uses to enable us to taste how deeply satisfying His thirst-quenching grace can be.” —Sinclair B. Ferguson
14. “Love means loving the unlovable—or it is no virtue at all.” —G.K. Chesterton
15. “A man doesn’t own his marriage; he is only the steward of his wife’s love.” —Ed Cole
16. “Staying married, therefore, is not mainly about staying in love. It is about keeping covenant. “Till death do us part” or “As long as we both shall live” is a sacred covenant promise—the same kind Jesus made with His bride when He died for her.” —John Piper
17. “A good wife is heaven’s last, best gift to man,—his gem of many virtues, his casket of jewels; her voice is sweet music, her smiles his brightest day, her kiss the guardian of his innocence, her arms the pale of his safety, her industry his surest wealth, her economy his safest steward, her lips his faithful counsellors, her bosom the softest pillow of his cares.” —Jeremy Taylor
18. “When a man and a woman give themselves to each other in an act of marital love, they can know the love of Christ as no one else can know it.” —J. Vernon McGee
19. “It often happens that when couples give their relationship to God straightened out, their relationships with one another begin to straighten out as well.” —Wayne Mack
20. “Since the marriage relationship is to reflect the relationship between Jesus Christ and His Church, it is imperative that biblical submission and love be practiced in all of its aspects between husband and wife.” —John C. Broger
21. “To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” —G.K. Chesterton
As 1 Corinthians 13 so famously states, “let all that you do be done in love.” May these Christian marriage quotes be just what you need to strengthen your relationship and continue running faithfully in pursuit of God today.