In deep grief, God’s word brings deep comfort. The Bible is living and active and meets the most broken and pain-filled places in our soul. “Within the Scripture there is balm for every wound, a salve for every sore,” Charles Spurgeon said. Early in my grief, I was desperate for comfort only God could bring. Some Bible verses about hope anchored me when my world turned upside down. Some verses reminded me of God’s truth when lies threatened to pull me under. And some Bible verses brought hope that, despite the cavernous loss and sadness, life would feel good again.
Psalm 119:92 says, “If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.” These 52 Bible verses about hope for times of grief have been divided into subsections. In addition to these scriptures, get the Bible study 7 Days of Hope for Your Shattered Heart free here.
Bible Verses About Hope for Times of Grief
1. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:3, ESV)
2. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18, NIV)
3. You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever! (Psalm 30:11-12, NLT)
4. To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. (Isaiah 61:3, NLT)
5. This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:50, ESV)
6. To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. (Isaiah 61:3, NLT)
7. For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven…a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4, ESV)
8. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.“ (Job 1:22, ESV)
Bible Verses About Hope When There Are Tears
9. Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them. (Psalm 126:5-6, NIV)
10. You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. (Psalm 56:8, NLT)
11. I have heard your prayer and seen your tears…(2 Kings 20:5, NIV)
12. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, no crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. (Rev 21:4, ESV)
13. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30:5, ESV)
14. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. (Romans 12:15, ESV)
15. For you, LORD, have delivered me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling…(Psalm 116:8, NIV)
16. “Listen, LORD, to my prayer! My eyes are flooded with tears, as I pray to you. I am merely a stranger visiting in your home as my ancestors did. (Psalm 39:12, CEB)
If these Bible verses about hope helped you, you can learn more about how God created our tears to help us heal in grief here.