We hear it all the time — Millennials are leaving the church; three common traits of youth who don’t leave the church; What the church can do to keep kids from leaving — the list could go on and on. As a Church, we’re always concerned about raising up the next generation into being Godly children.
But the truth of the matter is that most of the training doesn’t start inside the church walls, it starts at home with parents as teachers.
I can’t tell you how many times a parent has come up to my husband and me and told us how desperately they want their kids to be in the church following Jesus and understanding the Bible. I mean, that’s what most parents want. But the real kicker is the number of parents who come up to us with these desires, and yet they themselves have no relationship with God.
Maybe their kids are asking questions, or wondering what God is all about, and instead of making church and Christianity a way of life, they pawn their kids off on someone else.
Parents — you were trusted those little human beings for a reason. God does not make mistakes, but in trusting you with those kids, He’s trusting that you’ll raise them into Godly children to find Him.
Your role as a parent is this: You’re a teacher.
Parents As Teachers 20 Inspirational Quotes for Raising Godly Children
May these 20 quotes about parents as teachers in your child’s life be just the inspiration you need in raising up Godly children today.
1. “You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God’s fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of Hosts.” Charles Spurgeon.
2. “The goal of parenting isn’t to create perfect kids. It’s to point our kids to the perfect God.” Lindsey Bell
3. “Some of your children’s rebellion against your spiritual lifestyle might be a necessary step in their finding an authentic relationship with God. But beware: If they find it, it might look quite different from what you’ve always thought it should be.” Tim Kimmel
4. “The highest privilege and purpose as a parent is to lead the child in the way of Christ.” Max Lucado
5. “Our goal in parenting is not ultimately for our kids to get a great education or be great athletes or to find a great husband or get a great career. Our goal is for them to love a great God.” David Platt
6. “Even when our children are away from our authority, they’re never away from God’s.” Unknown
7. “Seek God’s will in all that you do and He will direct your path.” Proverbs 3:6
8. The calling to be a parent includes the gift to teach in the ways that are right for you and right for your children.” Robert D. Hales
9. “God seeks a people on earth to do His will. The family is the great institution for this object; a believing and God-devoted father is one of the mightiest means of grace.” Craig T. Owens
10. We do not develop habits of genuine love automatically. We learn by watching effective role models — most specifically by observing how our parents express love for each other day in and day out.” Josh McDowell
11. “ Children take more notice of what their parents do than what they say.” William Tiptaft
12. “The family should be a closely knit group. The home should be a self-contained shelter of security; a kind of school where life’s basic lessons are taught; and a kind of church where God is honored; a place where wholesome recreation and simple pleasures are enjoyed.” Billy Graham
13. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
14. “The happiest and holiest children in the world are the children whose fathers succeed in winning both their tender affection and their reverential and loving fear. And they are the children who will come to understand most easily the mystery of the fatherhood of God.” John Piper
15. “It’s not a parent’s responsibility to make sure they have Godly children. It’s a parent’s responsibility to make sure their children have Godly parents.” Unknown
16. “Until kids find something worth dying for, they don’t have anything worth living for.” Tim Kimmel
17. “Let no Christian parents fall into the delusion that Sunday School is intended to ease them of their personal duties. The first and most natural condition of things is for Christian parents to train up their own children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon
18. “To train a boy in the way he should go you must go that way yourself.” Billy Sunday
19. “When our children see us clinging to the promises of God, they will grow up trusting in His goodness. If we fail as adults in praying for and praying with the next generation, then they will become spiritually unsure.” Michael Youssef
20. “God didn’t give you your children to build your reputation but to publicly proclaim his.” Paul David Tripp
You don’t have to be an expert on parenting or a theologian to know how to raise up a child in the way they must go into Godly children. Parents, as teachers, are the most crucial weapons we have in teaching our children the adventures of the Bible, and the promises God has made to them. You were made for this, and the Lord equips those who he calls. Stand firm in the faith and lead well parents as teachers.